Birmingham Community Healthcare logo

Access to Health Records

How do I get a copy of my health records or personal information held by Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust?

The Data Protection Act gives you the right to ask for a copy of the information an organisation holds about you. This right is commonly known as a subject access request (SAR).

Requests for medical (health) records

A request for information from health records has to be made with the organisation that holds your health records – the data controller. For example, your GP practice, optician or dentist.

For hospital health records, contact the records manager or patient services manager at the relevant hospital trust. You can find a list of hospital trusts on the NHS Choices website.

GP Health Records for un-registered or deceased individuals

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust only holds the records of patients we treat, and even then, only the records relating to any of our services. Our services and the contact information for those services can be found by clicking this link.

Requests for other types of personal information held by NHS England

The Data Protection Act gives you the right to obtain a copy of information that Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust holds about you and the reason why. How we use your information explains the types of information we hold and why. If you would like to receive a copy of information we hold about you your request should be made via email to:


Please include the words ‘Subject Access Request’ in the subject line of your email.

When making your request, please complete the following form and send it to the email address above:

Subject Access Request Form