The combined community dental service provides a range of specialist dental services in Birmingham, Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall.
It provides NHS services for certain groups of patients:
adults and children with special needs (for example, medically compromised, physically or mentally compromised, elderly housebound, people with learning disabilities, severely anxious or phobic people)
It provides the following specialist services – sedation, home visits and use of a wheelchair recliner or hoist for appropriate patients.
NHS dental treatment includes all treatment necessary to maintain a person’s oral health. Standard NHS charges apply unless patients are eligible for exemption or remission.
Services available for patients meeting the criteria above:
- special care dental service in Birmingham, Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall. This is for adults who require specialised dental care because of severe disability, medical or mental health problems.
- paediatric dental service in Birmingham, Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall for children who meet the criteria above.
- orthodontics in Sandwell and Dudley, by referral only.
- oral surgery in Sandwell and Dudley. This service is provided on referral from healthcare professionals, and delivers assessment, surgical dentistry treatment under local anaesthesia, intravenous sedation and, where appropriate, general anaesthesia.
- oral health promotion in Sandwell and Dudley.
the out-of-hours urgent care service in Birmingham, Sandwell and Walsall.
the dental service at HMP Birmingham.
Urgent treatment and out-of-hours care
Urgent treatment means treatment that the dentist considers necessary to relive severe pain or prevent your oral condition deteriorating before you can make a normal appointment.
If you need urgent treatment and you have a Birmingham GP or Birmingham postcode you can contact NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. You will be asked for your personal details, such as name and address by a telephone call handler. If an urgent appointment is required, an appointment will be given to go to the out-of-hours service currently located at the Attwood Green Health Centre, 30 Bath Row, Birmingham, B15 1LZ.
Session times are:
Monday to Friday: 6pm-9pm.
Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays: 9am-1pm.
Details of the out-of-hours service can be found here.
You are entitled to …
- A thorough examination of your mouth, teeth and gums and a full explanation of your treatment options which includes a written treatment plan (including costs). If you decide to transfer to another dentist a care and treatment summary can be provided.
- Information about this service and the treatments available.
- Make a complaint if you are not happy with your treatment and care you have received.
You are responsible for …
- Giving at least one day’s notice if you have to cancel or change an appointment. We will not charge you for missed appointments but if you miss more than two appointments we may no longer be able to offer you treatment.
- Bringing proof of entitlement when claiming help with the cost of NHS treatment. If no proof is shown your eligibility will be checked.
In the interests of health and safety, if you need to bring other children with you it is advised you bring another responsible adult to care for them whilst your appointment takes place. Without this we might be unable to complete treatment and another visit would need to be arranged for another date. Due to child safety considerations, our staff are unable to accept children into their care for childminding purposes.
This clinic is part of the NHS zero tolerance initiative. Abusive or violent conduct may result in treatment being suspended so we ask that you treat all our staff with courtesy and respect during your visit.
Our clinics operate a no smoking policy. This also includes the areas outside of the main public entrances to building.
In the event of a fire alarm please stay calm and follow the instructions provided by a member of staff. Please leave the building promptly by the nearest fire exit and do not use lifts. Following an evacuation you will be told when it is safe for you to return to the building.