Services we provide
The team provide a short-term community based rehabilitation programme for adults with neurological problems, working towards community re-integration (e.g. accessing leisure/ education facilities).
Rehabilitation is provided in the form of individual and/or group work in the home, Moseley Hall Hospital, Elwood Day Centre or in the community. The team deliver a co-ordinated approach to help people achieve their individual rehabilitation goals and maximise independence.
The team consists of:
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Consultant in rehabilitation Medicine
- Rehabilitation Assistants
- Clinical Psychologist
- Community Officers
Who is the service for?
The services is for adults -
- With a neurological condition/disability
- Who are registered to a Birmingham GP or are a Birmingham resident
- Aged 16 years and over
- Who are ready to start rehabilitation (i.e. Medically Stable) and have identified goals that can be achieved within a maximum period of 12-16 weeks
- Requiring the involvement of 2 or more therapists
- Who have a discharge/care package in place (if a hospital discharge)
- Any health or social care professional, carers, voluntary agencies or patients themselves. (We will require additional information about a patient’s condition from their GP and/or hospital consultant if client is self referring)
- Referrals are screened on day of receipt and the referrer is contacted if more information is needed or if the team cannot meet the client’s needs.
What we do at an assessment?
Our client will be interviewed/assessed to establish their needs/goals – this usually takes place in the client’s home. On interview if the client is assessed as urgent to be seen they will be picked up within two weeks of the assessment date. If they are non-urgent then they will be placed on the waiting list. Further detailed assessments will be carried out when the rehabilitation programme starts.
Rehabilitation goals are set with the client at the start of the program and therapy sessions are timetabled each week to work towards these. Reviews take place at half way through and the end of the therapy program.