Special Care Dentistry is the field of dentistry which specialises in the management of dental care for adults with severe disability, medical or mental health conditions.
We are a consultant led service providing specialist dental services on referral for adults 16 or over who have a severe disability, medical or mental health condition which results in:
- severe difficulty communicating, giving consent and/or co-operating with treatment
- significant risk of a medical emergency, bleeding or healing problems
- an inability to bear their own weight for transfer to the dental chair without special equipment or are unable to leave the home
- severe and enduring mental health problems with unusual altered thought, extreme mood or behaviour which will restrict provision of care
- dental phobia at the severe end of the spectrum such that it has prevented them from accessing dental care for many years
We provide dental services for people across the Birmingham, Sandwell, Dudley and Walsall areas. Specialist facilities such as sedation, general anaesthetic, wheelchair recliner, equipment transfer and cognitive behavioural therapy are available at selected sites. Facilities for treatment in a hospital setting are available at Queen Elizabeth, Edgbaston, and Russell’s Hall Hospital, Dudley. Bariatric facilities are available at the Birmingham Dental Hospital where there is also a tertiary Special Care Dentistry service for people referred by Community Dental Services across the West Midlands.
Consultants in Special Care Dentistry: Mr Nick Ransford and Dr Kenneth Wilson
Specialists in Special Care Dentistry: Drs Ken Fatosin, Martin Boote, Russell Lane, Rachel Douse, Rebecca Willis
Experienced Senior Dental Officers, Dental Officers, Specialty Trainees, Therapists and Dental Nurses holding additional qualifications of relevance to special care dentistry.
Referrals to this specialist service are usually via your general dental practitioner (high street dentist). We also accept referrals from allied health and social care professionals.
Please use the form below to make referrals.
Click here to download the referral form for Special Care Dentistry
Click this link to download the referral information and guidance for Special Care Dentistry
If you or your relative have a severe disability that makes it impossible to access a high street dentist then you can make a self referral by telephoning the referrals centre on 0121 466 7610. They will take some details which will be looked at to see if you might be suitable for further assessment within our service. If not you will be directed to find a high street dentist via NHS 111 or the NHS Choices website at www.nhs.uk