Better Care

Adult Speech and Language Therapy


We provide a comprehensive service to people with adults who have difficulty with communication including developmental stuttering, or with eating, drinking and swallowing.

Who is it for? 

We provide services to clients over 18 registered with a GP in Central and West or East and North of Birmingham who have communication or swallowing difficulties due to:  

  • 6 months post stroke/CVA  
  • other neurological conditions e.g. Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease, and dementia.  

Please note there are separate services for Adults with Learning Disabilities, and Specialist Voice difficulties. We are unable to provide a service for clients with Predominant  Mental Health related difficulties. (See referral criteria on referral form).

Who provides it? 

HCPC registered Qualified Specialist Speech and Language Therapists, with relevant dysphagia /dysfluency training. Therapy assistants, Administrative staff, Speech & Language Therapy Students.

If you are unable to attend a clinic due to health or mobility problems you may be seen at home. We also see clients in residential and nursing homes, Hospices; John Taylor, or Rehabilitation centres; Normal Power, Ann Marie Howes, Perry Trees.

All dysfluency clients are seen at Stockland Green Primary Care Centre.  

What happens at your appointment? 

You or your carer or Nurse will be contacted by telephone for an initial triage. Following discussion about your  referral we will prioritise the need and endeavour to see you within the categorised priority times for an initial assessment. The initial assessment of your needs usually takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour. If it is felt that you need Speech and Language Therapy, you will be offered an agreed number of appointments. This will be provided in the clinic that is most convenient for you. Alternatively, if you are unable to attend clinic assessment and therapy may be provided in your own home. Dysfluency waiting times may be longer, you will have initial assessment, followed by individual or group therapy sessions.

What can I do to help myself?

This depends upon your individual difficulties. Your speech and language therapist may suggest strategies to help with your communication or swallowing or may give you certain exercises or tasks for you to carry out in-between sessions. It is important for you to follow the advice given in order to get maximum benefit from Speech and Language Therapy.

Information for client, carers/ family members:

The adult speech and language referral form is available to download below. For your convenience, the form is supplied as a Microsoft Word document and as an editable Adobe PDF file. Please complete whichever version you prefer.

If you have difficulty completing the referral form, or any general queries, please call the department on 0121 466 2150 for help and advice. You may ask to speak to Team Leader, Surbjit Ghag-Kaur. 

For Professionals: Referral form below. Please ensure all areas are completed on the referral  form. Telephone referrals cannot be accepted

Referral form

Please call us on 0121 466 2150 if you have any queries relating to a referral.

Food and drink descriptors for people with dysphagia

The International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDS)  - a project aimed at standardising the terms we use to describe food and drink textures - has introduced a new set of descriptors, covering all drinks and foods. Click here to view/download.

Contact Us

Service manager:
Ann Anderson

Adult Speech & Language Therapy Service
Gee Business Centre
Birmingham B7 5JR

Postal address:
Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust 
Transport Department
5 Sidings Close, Bentley Bridge,
Wolverhampton WV11 3DR 

Tel: 0121 466 2150
Fax: 0116 227 3070 

Referral Form

(Please send referrals to