About our service
The spasticity specialist clinic is a multidisciplinary outpatient service that provides comprehensive assessment and management for people with complex spasticity/dystonia (abnormal muscle stiffness) due to neurological disorders.
Who is the service for?
Any individual with spasticity/dystonia who:
- Lives in the West Midlands, although we will assess people outside the region.
- Aged 16 and over
- Spasticity or dystonia which is interfering with some level of functioning, positioning, care or comfort
- Acute spasticity prevention
- Needs cannot be addressed by local services
Who delivers it?
Spasticity clinic appointments routinely include a:
- Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine
- Specialist Neuro-Physiotherapist
Other team members may be involved in treatment according to individual patient problems and needs which are identified from the referral information or at subsequent appointments. This may include:
- Specialist Occupational Therapist in Neuro Rehabilitation
- Specialist Nurse in Neuro Rehabilitation
- Clinical Psychologist
- Speech and Language Therapist
- Specialist Orthotist
Other important team members:
- Medical Secretary/Clinic Co-ordinator
- Appointments Co-ordinator
Referrals can be made by any health professional with details of patient difficulties and goals, also previous treatments and the effects of these.
What will happen at the clinic?The team will carry out an assessment, during which we will:
- identify how your spasticity/dystonia affects you on a daily basis
- identify any factors which are making it worse
- identify how your condition is affecting you generally complete a physical assessment to determine how your tone affects you. Please bring suitable (loose) clothing for this assessment
- assist you in setting realistic goals. It would be helpful if you could think about what you would like to achieve before you come to your appointment
- plan treatment to improve your condition or prevent long-term problems where possible.
- Anaesthetic nerve block.pdf [pdf] 135KB
- Botulinum Toxin Injection.pdf [pdf] 247KB
- Consious Sedation.pdf [pdf] 145KB
- Intrathecal Phenol Injection.pdf [pdf] 125KB
- Oral medication for Spasticity.pdf [pdf] 148KB
- Phenol nerve block.pdf [pdf] 173KB
- Spasticity and its management.pdf [pdf] 161KB
- Spasticity triggers.pdf [pdf] 142KB