BCHC staff with child and parent image


Community Paediatrics

Frequently asked questions

Assessment, diagnosis, management and treatment for children and young people where there are concerns regarding a child’s development.

Questions you might have about our service

How can I request another appointment?

If a follow up appointment is deemed clinically necessary the community paediatrician will inform the Central Booking Service.  An appointment will be made for your child and a letter sent out approx. 4 weeks in advance.


If this appointment is not suitable please call the Central Booking Service on 0121 683 2320 to cancel and request an alternative date.


We do not offer emergency appointments as all are pre-booked in advance, and please be aware that there is a high demand for appointments, so you may need to wait longer than you expect.



When will my child get a diagnosis?

Diagnoses are rarely given on the first appointment, particularly when a child is very young.


Following your initial appointment, your child will be referred to relevant services, or undergo further assessments if necessary. This will be explained in a clinic letter.


It can take some time to arrive at the correct diagnosis for your child, if one is applicable. Each case is different.



Why do I have to fill the questionnaire forms?

You need to fill in the questionnaire form as your child is being assessed under our service, the surveys will need to be completed to assist our diagnosis.



When will I find out the outcome of my appointment?

Your Doctor will be in touch following the assessment. The time it takes to find out the outcome all depends on your case, everyone is different.



How can I get results of investigations?

Results can take up to 6-8 weeks to come through and you will be contacted by letter. 


We do not give results over the phone.


Please be aware that some results may take longer, dependent on the case.



I’ve moved address/changed my telephone number, who should I let you know?

If you have moved to a new address or changed your contact number, please let your GP know. This will update our system records as well. 


If your GP is outside of the Birmingham area, your GP will need to refer your child to the Community Paediatricians in your area.



What do I do if I can’t make an appointment?

Please let us know as soon as possible so we are able to offer the appointment to another family and reschedule yours to the next convenient date.


Please be aware that should you cancel 2 consecutive appointments in accordance with our Trust Patient Access Policy your child may be discharged from the service.



My child has been excluded. What should I do now?

Talk to the school first to review the exclusion. Failing that contact the Exclusion Team:

Birmingham City Council
PO Box 16542
B2 2DJ

Telephone: 0121 303 2685



I’ve got concerns about my child/a child I teach at school, who is seen by a Paediatrician?

Please write to us with your concerns and this evidence will be passed to the appropriate doctor to consider.



How can I request a repeat prescription?

If your child is seen at:

  • Allens Croft - Call 0121 466 4727 or a leave request in our Letter Box on reception (Allens Croft only).
  • Sutton Cottage Hospital - Call 0121 465 5431
  • Parkhouse Child and Family Centre - Call 0121 466 6800
  • Birmingham Community Childrens Centre (Bacchus Road) - Call 0121 466 9501
  • Heartlands Child Development Centre - Call 0121 424 3688

Please ensure that you give 10 days notice in order for the prescription form to be prepared.



How do I make a complaint?

Call 0800 917 2827



I’m travelling and need a letter to prove my child’s illness

Your last clinic letter will be enough evidence to show to airlines, theme parks etc. Please keep your clinic letters safe.




If you are waiting for a new or a follow up appointment and you are concerned about your child’s health please contact your GP, call 111 or 999 if an emergency.


Our patients and their carers and families are the reason we're here, so we want to hear your views about the Trust and our services.