BCHC staff with child and parent image


Community Paediatrics


Assessment, diagnosis, management and treatment for children and young people where there are concerns regarding a child’s development.

Information for professionals

The community paediatric service provide assessment, diagnosis, management and where indicated, treatment to young people who are registered with a Birmingham GP, who meet the criteria outlined below. 


The service is delivered in secondary care settings across the City by specialist Doctors in partnership with other providers which will enable children to achieve their optimum health and reduce the impact of illness on their health and wellbeing. 



What is the maximum age I can refer a child?

New referrals can be accepted for children and young people up until the age of 16.


However, if a young person is at a special school, referrals can be accepted up until the age of 19. 



To refer a child, you must look out for the following:

  • Concerns regarding a child’s development such as developmental delay or disordered development
  • Neurological disability. For example, cerebral palsy or other physical disabilities
  • Children with coordination or fine motor difficulties
  • Difficulties raising suspicion of underlying neurodevelopmental disorder e.g:
    • Autistic spectrum disorder (ASD)
    • Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD) (age 5 and above)
  • Genetic disorders for example: down’s syndrome 
  • Significant learning difficulties / disabilities  (children with isolated mild learning difficulties will not be assessed)
  • Sensory impairment for example: children with visual or hearing impairment
  • Medical management in palliative and end of life care in life limited / threatened children (refer using the CCN/palliative section of the referral form)



We do not treat

  • Concerns regarding general health, including isolated problems with growth / obesity / puberty
  • Assessment for dyslexia 
  • Assessment of significant emotional and behavioural difficulties in school age children unless as part of a formal assessment of special educational needs
  • Isolated speech and language difficulties for example: stutter
  • Epilepsy in children without developmental delay or neurodisability



Who can refer

  • BCHC health visitors, school nurses and allied health professionals
  • Hospital paediatricians and allied health professionals
  • GP’s
  • Social care services
  • Education – community day Nurseries, Schools, educational psychologists, special educational needs co-ordinators (SENCo’s)
  • Forward Thinking Birmingham (CAMHS)
  • Voluntary sector – Barnardos, NCH Action For Children and others



It is important to ensure that you have obtained consent from the parent or carer, or by the young person themselves if they have the capacity to consent prior to a referral being made.



Children and Families Services Referral Form



If you are waiting for a new or a follow up appointment and you are concerned about your child’s health please contact your GP, call 111 or 999 if an emergency.

Our patients and their carers and families are the reason we're here, so we want to hear your views about the Trust and our services.