BCHC staff with child and parent image



Frequently asked questions

The NDP team assesses children and young people for neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

NDP logo

Common questions asked about ADHD

Why has my child been referred to the neurodevelopmental pathway?

Your child has been referred to the neurodevelopmental pathway (NDP) because there is a concern about their development, raised either by you, your child’s education provider or a health professional. This developmental concern warrants an assessment to establish whether or not a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is suitable for your child.



How long will the ADHD assessment take?

Due to the current demand on the ADHD service the waiting time from when the ADHD team first receives a referral to your child’s assessment and a decision to be made as to whether your child has ADHD or not, has increased.


You will be notified of any updates relating to your child’s referral either by telephone, letter or will be invited for a virtual or face to face appointment.


If your child has a Quantitative Behavioural (QB) test, please be aware that this is another tool amongst others that may be used to help assess your child for ADHD.


Please note that your child is being assessed for ADHD so there is no surety that they will have an ADHD diagnosis. 


All wait times can vary and be subject to change.  This depends on the number of referrals and your child’s specific needs.  We will do all we can to see your child as quickly as possible.


Our average waiting time for April 2024 from the date the referral was received to the child’s first ADHD assessment is approximately 14 months.


The average waiting time for April 2024 from the date the referral was received to child’s diagnosis appointment is approximately 16 months.


Who are the professionals in the neurodevelopmental pathway?

We currently have speech and language therapists, clinical psychologists, community paediatricians, occupational therapists, nurses and clinical assistants working in the neurodevelopmental pathway.



What happens while we wait for assessment?

Whilst you are waiting for your child’s assessment please ask your locality team or school for information about the services that are available to support you and your child.


You can also contact the ADHD team on the number below. If calls are unanswered, please leave a message. Messages will be picked up and calls returned within 10 working days. If you have concerns about managing your child’s needs at any point during your wait, please contact us as we may be able to support you over the telephone or advise where else you can seek support.


You can contact the ADHD team on 0121 466 3425/3426 or by email: adhd.team@nhs.net.



I need a repeat prescription for my child, what is the process?

Prescription requests can be made to the ADHD team by calling 0121 466 3425 or 0121 466 3426.


Calls will be accepted on Mondays and Thursdays between 9am – 3pm with the exception of bank holiday Mondays, where we will accept requests on the following Tuesday. You can also leave a telephone message for this request stating reason for your message, your child’s full name, date of birth and your telephone number.


I have received a school report in the post what do I do with this?

We send school reports to the parent/carer to ensure this goes to the current/correct school your child attends, if your child does not attend school, please contact ADHD team on 0121 466 3425 to discuss further.


My child is at risk of exclusion, what do I do?

Schools understand from national and local guidance that permanent exclusions should always be a last resort.


Parent-carers should continue to discuss with the school SENCO and Headteacher any ways forward, including reviewing the current support arrangements (both the resources and services in place).


Parent-carers can contact the Parent Link service by telephone on 0121 303 8461 or via email: parentLinkService@birmingham.gov.uk


My child has been excluded, what do I do?

Parent-carers should maintain contact with the school in relation to the plan agreed.


Other contacts are:



I need help and support now, what can I do?

If you feel you need support, other agencies and information is available, please see Additional Information


If you are waiting for a new or a follow up appointment and you are concerned about your child’s health, or if there has been significant deterioration in your child’s behaviour, please contact your GP, call 111 or 999 if an emergency. 


ADHD image


Our patients and their carers and families are the reason we're here, so we want to hear your views about the Trust and our services.